Sunday 29 July 2012

Strawberry Curls! *Please Don't Eat*

I first stumbled across Strawberry Curls on Twitter. There seems to be a lot of hype around them so I had to give them a go. They are basically the most ridiculously cute strawberry shaped curlers known to man. When I received them, the first thing I thought was 'well, they're that cute I don't even care if they work or not!'




They are your basic old school sponge curlers - just strawberry shaped. No thrills to be honest with you, but what it lacks in thrills it makes up for in abundance with novelty-ness!

The straight-ish hair before hand:


They go in easy enough. You roll from the tip of the hair, although some do start rolling mid way. Also, it is advised that you roll when your hair is 80% dry - any less than that and your hair wont dry! So once you've rolled, you pretty much squeeze and twist the sides and it locks everything in place. For big wavy curls, take larger sections of hair and only roll about half of your hair lengths, and for tighter curls, roll about 3/4 of your hair length. 


My hair is very long and thick, and I was surprised that these little cuties actually managed to hold it all in place. I used 23 of the 24 curlers sent to me. 

I left mine in for about three hours, and didn't use any heat from a blow dryer on them. 


So heres how it looked from the front! Very voluptuous, I was fairly happy. It turned out more like the Cheryl Core signature hair do than anything else, but I was quite happy. So after three hours, with minimal fuss, I would say it was a success....

But then I saw a picture of the back of my hair :/ 

I can't say I'm too impressed! Limp and dull, and it just doesn't have the oomph that the front sections of hair had. But then again, my hair is extraordinarily thick, so I don't think I gave these rollers a fair chance. I managed to put a few curls in with the ol' faithful GHDs. You can see in the picture theres some great curls towards the side, but my hair seems to be too heavy to keep the shape of the curls from these rollers.

I woke up this morning to soft waves in my hair which I usually detest, but I quite like the effects the rollers had on my hair a day on.






I will definitely use these again. But next time I will use slightly smaller sections of hair, roll them tighter, once rolled blow-dry them and hopefully leave them in overnight.

However, I will state that there was some difficulty getting some of these rollers out of my hair, there was a few tangles and quite often a lot of hair was left in the rollers - so using these all the time are a big NO NO.


Where can you buy these?

There is a UK based business that sell 12 for £9.99 (excl. p+p) from HERE.**

I done a bit of bargain hunting, and purchased mine from this lovely chap in China who sells 12 for £2.09 - Check it out HERE. It says to give up to 6 weeks, but mine came in 2 weeks. 

If you have short/medium length hair, I would say 12 is probably enough. I bought 24 just to be safe, and ended up using 23! 

**Lastly, I would just like to state that I emailed the lovely ladies at Strawberry Curls and asked if they are selling the same stock as the one I bought off eBay. They simply replied no, and stated that they are a British company, not a Chinese company, and that was pretty much it. After looking at endless photos of both products, I'm 99% sure that both products are the same! I'm not sure how many different ways you can make sponge rollers... but hey ho. If you'r looking for a bargain and your not fussed about delivery, definitely check out the eBay link, but if you want to be sure you're ordering the 'real' thing and want quick delivery, check out the Strawberry Curls website.**

So what do you think??

Have you reviewed these?

Do you fancy giving them a go?






3 comments:

  1. Great post! They're already on my watch list on ebay aha :)

    http://fallingfeatherss.blogspot.co.uk/ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Bought mine from ebay too! And they do the trick! I agree that the uk ones are the same as the ones from china (its probably their supplier) hehe! Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete